Parole process reforms

Parole process reforms

Parole process reforms

CAPPS recommends changes in Michigan’s parole process that will improve the objectivity, fairness and transparency of parole decision-making. These include:

  • Ensure that factors included in the parole guidelines are weighted to accurately predict the risk of reoffending.
  • Restore prisoners’ opportunity to appeal parole denials (just as prosecutors have the right to appeal parole grants), to enforce appropriate use of the parole guidelines. The availability of judicial review is critical to enforcing statutory parole guidelines and any statutory presumption of parole at the minimum.
  • Eliminate the authority of successor judges to veto lifer paroles.
  • Restore the board’s authority to grant medical paroles to prisoners who are incapacitated.
  • Restore pre-parole community transition programs for people nearing parole eligibility.


  1. amber goll
    May 9, 2014

    Hello I have a love In Michigan state prison for serving a 15-30year sentence for attempt to do great bodley harm, he is at his 14 year now! When sentence his guideline were not handed to him right, we have applied several time’s only to get denied! Since incarcerated he has received no tickets or trouble and has only been moved once from prison because he doesn’t start any trouble! He has great motivation for the real world to work, he has earn his GED! I miss him so much and hope he is close to being home! If you can help please! He has spent to long time making up for a mistake he made when he was young, like most humans!!!! Is it possible to come home be four his minimum time?

    • CAPPS
      May 10, 2014


      I don’t know the facts of your case and we can’t do legal work for individuals. But as a GENERAL rule, people must spend their entire minimum sentence in prison (this policy is called truth-in-sentencing). He should make sure his earliest release date was calculated appropriately by the department and includes any credit for the time he spent in jail. If his guidelines were not calculated correctly, you will need an attorney. Good luck!

  2. S. Anderson
    June 16, 2014

    I have a loved one currrently incarcerated due to receiving two 20 year manditory minimum drug convictions. However, the two sentences were cut in half to two 10 year minumums in 2004 when they changed the law. The problem is he’s already done 12 years yet because the judge ruled them to run consecutively he’s still incarcerated and currently in the process of completing the second 10 year minimum. My question is. Is the Michigan legistature is in process of broadening the parole boards powers to grant parole to some of these prisoners or currently is there other legistation being considered to help these non violent drug offenders get an earlier parole. Thank you in Advance

    • CAPPS
      June 19, 2014


      Give our office a call about your question regarding parole, so we can look up your loved one’s case. Ask for Dena. Our proposal for presumptive parole would apply once someone has served their minimum sentence(s). FAMM did try to get the remaining consecutives converted to concurrent sentences, but this legislation was defeated a few years ago. I would be interested in talking to you about this more. Please plan to attend on of our meetings (we have one in Detroit on June 28) so I can meet you. We can follow up sometime later this summer. Best, Laura

  3. Sharon
    December 20, 2014

    My son was told by the judge if he goes and do half his time without any trouble he might get release early. Now i’m seeing that’s not truth he have to do all his min. time. We live in Indianapolis and he got the case in Detriot, so when he get out he have to stay in Detriot on his 3years probation. He wourl’ve served four years next year on an eight years sentence. Please, help me to understand the system a little more. I really need my son home to take care of his child. He was never a real bad child just got caught with some young mens that, he barely even knew. Thanks, God Bless You

    • CAPPS
      February 9, 2015

      Hi Sharon,

      I’m sorry this reply is so delayed. I just saw your comment. Take a look at our website under sentencing.

      If you call our office at (517) 482-7753 and ask for Dena, she can explain a bit about our sentencing system.


Leave a Reply


e-Mail * (will not be published)